Thursday, March 6, 2014

Stealing Choices

Have you seen the youtube video of the boyfriend who pushes his girlfriend off a cliff... right after he tells her he's not going to push her?
I saw it a few months ago, and again in therapy last night... and then I went off a little about the whole thing because it triggered so many emotions in me.  It always triggers so many emotions.
My hands tingle, and my heart pumps.  I want to reach through my screen and shake the kid who pushes her.

Back off.
Don't make her do something she doesn't want to do.
No means no.

What it all comes down to is sitting by and watching someone else have their choices taken away makes me fume.  I really, really hate it.


  My sponsor has been key in helping me realize that I always have choices. I ALWAYS HAVE CHOICES.

It's a matter of being brave enough to assert that fact, act on it, and stand by it.
It's scary, and others don't always agree with my choices.  That's when I start doubting and stomping on my gut to accommodate others.

But I'm learning, and I'm trying, and every time that guy takes his girlfriend's choice away... I have a reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment